martes, 23 de febrero de 2010

The Oscars

All around the world, there are various organizations and festivals that recognize achievements in cinema. In the U.S. alone there are over 70. On March 7, the Annual Academy Awards, the most prestigious of the awards, will be held in the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles. Normally, only 5 movies are nominated for best picture, however, this year 10 were selected. Avatar, The Blind Side, District 9, An Education, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Precious, A Serious Man, Up, and Up In The Air. I disagree with some of the movies that were selected, for instance, The Blind Side is a pretty good movie; it's entertaining and is easy to follow. The problem with the Blind Side is that it has no depth and it is a movie that is easy to make, easy to carry out. The audience will like this movie because it's a success story. Not Oscar worthy in my opinion.
Avatar, I'm embarrassed to say, I have not seen. Up in the Air is very much worthy of an Oscar, George Clooney made a hell of a performance. District 9 is a movie with a genre that is not very "Oscar friendly", science fiction, but the acting by the main character is phenomenal, he does an excellent job of transmitting emotion. Inglorious Basterds is another crowd pleaser, not Oscar worthy, but the antagonist of the film is an extraordinary actor and should win an Oscar for best supporting actor.
Up is a great movie and I am all for it being nominated, however, Up in the Air is the winner for me out of the ones I have seen.
The rest I have not seem either because I haven't had the time (A Serious Man, Avatar, The Hurt Locker, An Education) or because they are so depressing it's ridiculous (Precious).

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario